Friday, November 04, 2011

Some Extra Kitchen Time


I have been so overwhelmed in my kitchen this year.  Adjusting to cooking within certain parameters has been a challenge for this foodie who loves her freedom.  Most of the time I lack motivation, especially when it's just my food.  I love it when I can make something for the whole family but there are times when it's just not practical to do that within my particular restrictions.  Gluten free cooking for 11 is one of those things. 

I have the cookbooks.  I've pinterest-ed the recipes.  I have the ingredients.  I lack the time and desire. 

But last night was cold and windy and we decided for me to stay home from soccer with the little ones.   The house was clean, dinner was done, the kids were happy.  So I decided to experiment in the kitchen with my alternative grains.  The cookbook I'm most interested in has several GF mixes that you mix up beforehand to draw from for the recipes.  I pulled everything out, made a great mess, and started measuring, counting, and labeling until I ran out of ingredients. 

Meanwhile, I put on a pot of rice noodles to cook for some pasta salad later.  (Another thing I rarely do b/c nobody likes rice noodles.) 

By the time I was done I had 3 bags of different GF mixes AND part of a pasta salad made.  And while I didn't have anything completed to show for it, it sure seemed like I got a lot accomplished!

1 comment:

the momma said...

good job!

Can you eat cabbage? sometimes I'll slice cabbage super thin & we'll eat spaghetti sauce on it (I think maybe we got this from the Moons?) Amazingly, it doesn't taste like cabbage & the warmth of the sauce takes a bit of the crunch out of the cabbage. It really is surprisingly good. probably better than rice noodles ;-)