Monday, November 07, 2011

Praying With Our Kids

"The circumstances of a saint's life are ordained of God.......in order that the intercession of the Spirit in you may take a particular line."  - Oswald Chambers

He also calls it "the ministry of the interior".  I love that. 

We noticed something at the dinner table lately.  Some of our kids shied away from praying out loud.  There's a part of me that understands this.  Maybe they don't think they have the right words, that their words aren't as "spiritual" as some, that they will sound foolish.   I know, because I've struggled with this too.  I've come to the conclusion that it is a lie of Satan and one that we need to actively combat.   It is also a matter of pride and praying to men instead of God...again something that needs attention.  It requires a shift of focus....and practice. 

We started a family prayer notebook.  Nothing fancy, just a little spiral notebook with lined pages where we write about people that we know need prayer.   Every morning we talk about these needs and go around praying; each taking a turn to pray about whatever he wants.   I don't require that everyone pray.  They have the choice to remain silent and the next person will pick up. 

But you know what?  Hardly ever does anyone pass up the opportunity!  They seem to enjoy having particular ppl or circumstances to bring before God.  Often the littler ones will fixate on one particular request and pray for that person every day.  It's been really neat to watch the growth.

We pray for salvation, health, lost jobs, our church, pastors...you name it.  And I just found out this weekend that a man we've been praying for just got his old job back!

I can't wait to tell the kids! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you cousin...I'm glad you are happy...

Jennifer said...

One of my favorite parts (and the kids' favorite parts!) of our homeschool day is our prayer time together. You've given me some ideas of some ways I want to "tweak" it from here...thanks! And funny about the littler ones "fixating"...there are people we prayed for when Ammah Grace was 4 or 5 because they were having surgery...surgery is over, they are totally healed and back to normal, but at 7, she still brings them up during prayer time. :) I love that! <3